Faculty Recruiting and Retention
Recruiting Diverse Faculty Resources
Ohio State recently launched a campus-wide initiative to build upon a strong foundation of faculty search practices as the university embarks on faculty hiring for the Discovery Themes initiative. Read more about the essentials of diversity hiring and our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Ohio State’s Project CEOS, a National Science Foundation (NSF) ADVANCE Program for institutional transformation, in collaboration with the Office of Human Resources, developed the following guide and videos to assist faculty search committees.
- Recruiting Diverse Faculty Guide
- Video Part 1: Bias and Schemas
- Video Part 2: Diversity Recruitment Practices
Additional Faculty Recruitment Resources
The University of Michigan and University of Wisconsin have also developed faculty recruitment tools through their National Science Foundation ADVANCE programs.
- University of Michigan ADVANCE Faculty Recruitment Resources
- University of Wisconsin-Madison Guide for Search Committee Chair
The Association of American Medical Colleges also offers a self-guided video. You must complete a brief registration process to view the video.
- What You Don’t Know: The Science of Unconscious Bias and What To Do About it in the Search and Recruitment Process
Faculty Professional Development
Ohio State’s Office of Academic Affairs offers many resources to assist faculty with career development and work-life integration.
The following retention checklists and materials developed by fellow National Science Foundation ADVANCE institutions are designed to assist academic leaders with retaining talent and fostering an optimal work environment.
- University of Rhode Island Faculty Retention Checklist
- University of Washington Faculty Retention Toolkit